Monday, June 27, 2011

Visiting Irene (Part 1 of 3)

This is Irene. She is the girl that Heidi and I sponsor through the Educational Scholarship Program at Southwood. She is in Form 3 at Uroki Secondary School.


Look at the smile on that girl! (Not me, Irene)

I met Irene two years ago. At that time she was so shy she seemed breakable and the only English she knew was “my name is Irene.” I met her family two years ago as well. Her mother and father were both sick and I remember thinking to myself, Irene is going to lose one or both of her parents in the next two years. The house was depressing, the surroundings were bleak and bare. There was no joy or laughter at all.

The visit left me feeling sad and wishing that there was something more that I could do.

It turns out, there was something more that God was getting ready to do.

We visited Irene and her family on Friday and it was like a whole new family. Mother and Father were not only healthy again, but they seemed genuinely happy. Irene’s two grandmothers were dancing around and throwing their hands up in the air with trills in their voices. There is even a small foundation for a house they are hoping to build.

The vegetable garden they are growing is massive, weed free, and prolific. Mama Bishop made the comment that we should bring the women of the Uswaa church to Irene’s home so they can see what a garden should look like.

Irene is thriving as well.  She speaks English very well, she takes initiative to ask me questions, she's doing well in school and has a goal of becoming a doctor.

I remember the sinking feeling that I had when we drove away from this home in 2009. The feeling I had on Friday was quite the opposite. I’ve not been able to stopping smiling with joy when I think of the small changes that have generated such hope into this family.

There is new life here.


God is at work and this is yet another resurrection story.

Irene's mother and father looking healthy and happy in front of their garden.

This is Irene and I with her two grandmothers.  If you could just spend a day with these two women you would absorb enough joy to last you a year.

2 comments:

  1. How does your height compare with your Tanzanian friends? You seem a bit taller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene has a beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete