Sunday, June 19, 2011

Church Motor Gauge

Another priceless conversation

This morning Pastor Mmanga, John and I were sitting in the pastor's office.  Out of left field Pastor Mmanga says to John, "John do you know about church motor gauge?"

John and I both look at each other, wondering if we just heard the same thing.

John says "no."

"Sara, what about you, church motor gauge, do you know anything about this?"

Of course I say "no" as well.

An exasperated "My God" is his reply.  (Pastor Mmanga uses this phrase quite often and it's actually quite endearing - we love repeating it.)

After we are all stumped for just a little bit, there is finally a light bulb.  "Church mortgages?"  John says.

"Yes, yes, my God, my pronunciation."  Is our Pastor friend's reply, and then, "Have you read 'Church Property and Administration'?"  (This is obviously a book he read in Seminary.)

"What year was that published?"  I ask.

Without missing a beat he says "1947!"

John and I laugh out loud, because in the U.S. 2010 is often an outdated textbook.

"Old is gold,"  is his instant reply and it makes us both laugh and love him even more!

Randomly, typing up this conversation also has gotten the classic line "m-m-m-motorin', what's your price for flight" from Sister Christian stuck in my head.  Who's with me folks?  "Old is gold."

1 comment:

  1. Your Pastor Mmanga sound priceless. I think the end of this post is a bit random, but quite perfect. What a fun read!

    ReplyDelete