Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Baraka

I met this guy two years ago. We were in the parking lot at the Northern Diocese office and he appeared on his motor cycle (piggy piggy is what they call motorcycles here!) At that time we greeted him, learned his name, Baraka (which means blessing) and that he was from Uswaa. Since he was from Uswaa we said we would see him on Sunday. We did see him that Sunday and after worship we stood and talked outside of the sanctuary, just below the stairs leading up to the office.



I saw Baraka again yesterday, he had the same joyful smile and he was riding the same piggy piggy. I greeted him after worship, during the auction. He looked at me like he knew me and I stopped and said, “Baraka right?” When I said his name he was so happy. He said: “You remember me.” I told him of course I remembered him, that we met him on his piggy piggy at the Diocese office. Then he said: “And we met again at church right over there” (pointing to the spot right outside of the sanctuary below the steps leading up to the office) “and I think you have a picture of me.” I do. I took a picture of he and his wife in that very spot. I don’t have it with me, but he didn’t care, he was just so happy elated that I remembered him and our previous meeting.

I told him I remembered that his name means Blessing. Don’t ask me why I remember such specific details about this one person. I guess his big smile and his genuine interest in people made an impression. It was no different on this past Sunday. So he again reminded me of the connection between blessing, his name, and our US president. He said that many people just call him Obama! (Mama Kweka has told me the same is true of their grandson with the same name, the kids at school call him Obama.)

Baraka has a German woman living as a guest with him and his family. Her name is Katarina, she is here for five months teaching computers at the vocational school that Baraka teaches at. Baraka, Katarina, and Baraka’s daughter all got on the piggy piggy after worship and went home.

I hope I shall see them again. Mungu akipenda. (If God wishes!)

I wrote this post after my first Sunday, so its old news.  I was waiting to figure out how to include a picture.  So - I've had some success in that department (although this one picture took 10 minutes.)  We have seen these people again.  I'm sure a post on that visit is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment