Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Crime of Fashion

John was trying to check his email on Friday in the pastor's office.  It was taking an incredibly long time for it to load his inbox, but you could easily see those Yahoo headlines.  So Pastor Mmanga was just looking over his shoulder and saw the words:
"A Crime of Fashion"
I have no idea what the article was about, although I'm certain it was something out of Hollywood.  But the funny part was trying to explain this little piece of slang to someone who is not a native English speaker and does not have much concept of American culture.

Seriously, think about how you would explain it.

The first question he asked was, "are the laws really that strict in your country."

We tried to explain the word "superficial" and to explain how interested some American people are in celebrity.

I must admit that in the end we failed miserably to get the point across and we moved onto other, and obviously more important, topics.

1 comment:

  1. That's a loaded headline--meant to turn heads. I have thought about the type of explanation I would offer, and I am not coming up with much. Although I was thinking, one might talk about exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete