Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Halfway

Today marks the halfway point in my trip.  I'm here for 85 days, 42 are done, today is day 43, and after today there are 42 more days to go.  While the first two weeks seemed like they last about 2 months, it now feels like the time is slipping away much too quickly.  There are so many things I still want to do!

I had an email from my mom a week or so ago that said "Dad's worried that you're not going to want to come home."  Not to worry, I love it here, but there are too many things at home I miss.  So in honor of this halfway point, here are some of the things I miss and some of the things I don't.

Things I miss, but am managing surprisingly well to live without:
  • hot showers
  • pizza
  • my shoes
  • green tea
  • reliable electricity
  • English speakers
  • pants
  • pavement
  • my bike
 Things I miss and cannot live without:
  • Benjamin
  • Charlie
  • Ray
  • Karina
  • Anna
  • Arne
  • Spohr baby coming soon
  • My siblings
  • My parents
  • My Saturday morning coffee friends
  • Book Club
  • Long phone conversations with my mom and sisters
Things I am quite enjoying being away from:
  • My car
  • Yard work
  • My cell phone
  • Summer wedding season
  • Facebook
  • Grocery shopping
Today we are on our way to Bagamoyo, its near Dar Es Salaam and the coast of the Indian Ocean.  Its our little vacation.  It will be fun to take a few days away from Uswaa and enjoy the history of this place and perhaps the beauty and peace of the coastline.

It is hard to believe this time is halfway gone, but it has been surprisingly great so far and I'm looking forward to what is yet to come!

2 comments:

  1. It's pretty hard to have you so far away, but your smile and the joy in your writing keeps me fairly content. We (Jim and I) are so humbled by your openness to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of your posts I end up crying. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete