Monday, July 25, 2011

It’s All Relative



I think I’ve finally figured this out. What is “this”? How family members are related here in Tanzania.

I’ve often heard of people referring to someone as their “young father” or their “young sister.” I’ve also heard people say that this person is “like a brother.” So I’ve been asking some questions, doing a little amateur investigation and here is what I know for sure, at least I think.

Your uncles are your mother’s brothers.

Your father’s brothers are your “young fathers.”

Your aunts are your father’s sisters.

Your mother’s sisters are your “young mothers.”

Any child of one of your aunts, uncles, young mothers, or young fathers are like your sister or brother.

If your father had more than one wife, and that second or third wife had a child, that child is your young sister or young brother.  (yes, this is more common than you'd think.)

If there is another person who has the same two parents as you, they are your sister or your brother. (Okay, I knew that one before I started.)

A neighbor who is roughly the same age as you can also be called a brother or a sister, but that one is usually qualified with the word “like” as in this person is “like a brother to me.”

So I think that’s it. Not sure if its everything, but its what I’ve figured out so far. I remember when I was like 6 or 7 years old and I finally comprehended that my aunt Kari was my mother’s sister, and my uncle Wilbert was my dad’s brother. That sort of blew me away. Yes, I feel the same sort of accomplishment now.

I suppose the most important take away here is that everyone is related. It is an African proverb after all (Hilary Clinton doesn’t own it) – “It takes a village to raise a child.” I have heard such amazing and sacrificial stories here of people taking care of other people’s children as if they were their own child.

Even now, I know of one young Seminary student that for circumstances outside of his choosing he is living here at Uswaa, his wife is teaching somewhere else, and their two children are living with his wife’s sister in yet another location. I think he would prefer that his family was all together, but he knows (without a doubt) that his children are safe, fed, and most importantly loved.

I love this village.

No comments:

Post a Comment