Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dear Southwood

Dear Southwood,

Just so you don’t think I’ve completely forgotten you I want you to know that the following is an excerpt from an email I received from one of your pastors this week, I probably don’t have to tell you which one. This came in response to something that I myself had labeled as a “cheese ball” comment.  So I guess I should not have been surprised at all at the response:
Whenever someone says cheese ball alert I get anxious because at parties where cheese balls are served (before Atkins) I was always breaking a cracker on those suckers and then the crumbs would get stuck to it so I'd grab another cracker to scrape off the jagged pieces and then that cracker breaks into a thousand pieces and before I know it the cheese ball has snowballed out of control. I've destroyed ten crackers and it looks like some pin cushion of shards. Then while stuffing my face with the evidence people stop and stare wondering if I have some cheese ball fetish. Cheese ball comments have a whole different meaning.

So, I take cheese ball comments very seriously because the implications can suck you into a no-win situation.

Does this mean that I’ve been gone so long that I’ve forgotten how to guard myself against walking straight into these responses? Yes. Does reprinting this here mean I’m admitting I miss you all? Yes.

So my friends at Southwood, I’m certain that you will appreciate the irony of the next piece of mail I received on the very same day as the cheese ball comments. The following is from Evi, who wrote this before I left and I just happened to open it in the proper time:

Stuff to make you smile #4: Stuff we’re doing to fill in for you. As Michael uses bad puns, we are doing our best to totally shoot him down, and move the conversation on in the least awkward way possible.

Thank you Michael, Evi and all. I do miss you.

I wish you a blessed Sunday morning!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment