Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Crappy Day

I can't sugar coat it for you folks, this was not the best of days.

It started out with the best of intentions.  I am starting a little video project, trying to bring the stories of the Uswaa people home to share with you.  Today we visited Mama Upendo, the loveliest of women, living in one of the worst possible situations.


This is Mama Upendo's home. She lives here with three of her five children, the other two are away at school.  Mama Upendo was so willing to share her story, even the really hard parts, I can't tell you how in awe I am of her courage in the face of tremendous struggles.

Her husband died in 2008.  Since then she had worked hard in her little garden to grow bananas, coffee, beans, and vanilla to try to support her family.  So far, every one of her children is making their way through secondary school.  Her strength and determination is nothing short of miraculous.

The next part is not pretty at all. 

We walked in the front door of her house, then out the back.  Standing outside of the back door I could touch both the house and the cow; and the cow was standing in 4 inches of its own waste.  Alongside the cow were chickens roaming about and rabbits galore.  Just imagine she and her children sleeping right there, a window into the cow's pen just feet away.  Sharing a wall with the cow is the kitchen where she has a fire pit to cook and heat water and stores all of the food and dishes for the family.  You just can't believe all that is packed into this tiny little space.

Mama Upendo thanked and thanked and thanked us for visiting her home.  She served us the most amazing little tea outside in front of the house with these freshly roasted peanuts and crispy potatoes.  Right now my stomach is in cramps and knots because I was a bit of a glutton about the food she served.  Only later, when the stomach pains started, did I realize that eating food served out of a kitchen next door to a cow was probably not my most brilliant idea.  (John's fine by the way, so the Olson's can relax.)

I'm sure I'll be fine in no less than a good night's sleep.  Mama Upendo, on the other hand, is home tonight sleeping next to a cow.  That is an image that makes me forget all about my stomach.

During our little interview I asked her what the challenges are that she faces.  The list was long.  Then I asked her what brings her joy and her list included just two things.  One, seeing her children succeed in school and two, her faith that God is with her through all things.

If I could pack just an ounce of her faith to bring back with me it would be an elixir for every ill.


A House of Gold
Written and recorded by Hank Wiliams Sr.

People steal they cheat and lie
For wealth and what it will buy
But don't they know on the judgement day,
That Gold and Silver will melt away.

I'd rather be in a deep dark grave
And to know that my poor soul was saved
Than to live in this world in a house of Gold
And deny my God and doom my soul.

What good is Gold and Silver too
If your heart's not pure and true
Sinner hear me when I say
Fall down on your knees and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment