Sunday, August 7, 2011

To Town We Go

On Thursday Pastor Mmanga and I took a trip to town, it was just this random day of running errands, but it was a joy for me to just spend time with my colleague and do some “people watching.”

We started at the bank. In order to complete the roof at Nkiraawanga they have to bring electricity to the area. The power company is corrupt here and they can’t begin the work because they have no money. So we have to buy telephone poles and 1200 meters of electrical wire and have the supplies there before they will start. At the bank we had to transfer the money into the account of a man who is securing the supplies.
Chairman Fredrick Urassa

Then we had a small meeting with our favorite chairman Fredrick Urassa, always a good time.

Then to the Diocese bookstore so I could buy some exercise books for Irene, some pens for me, and an African novel I’ve been hearing about called “Weep Not, Child.” Reading material for the plane ride home I guess.

Now lunch, I had a hamburger and chips (French fries), two samosas, and a passion fruit soda. Um, yes, I ended the meal uncomfortably full.

Then, Pastor had another meeting about building supplies. I sat in the car reading Wuthering Heights, which is one dark novel.

Next we stopped at a little shop with some random assortment of supplies. I sat in the car, but soon was beckoned in and asked to pick out a pair of shoes. Pastor Mmanga doesn’t even know how much I love my shoes and here he was determined to send me back home with a pair of African sandals. I love them.

After this we took a trip around an assortment of fabric shops looking for a particular Kanga that I saw some wearing at a funeral, we never did find it so I guess I’m giving up that dream. But it was incredibly nice for Pastor to make such a valiant effort to find it.

I was getting tired and we were getting back into the car to go again. I stood by the door waiting for him to unlock it for me. He looked at me and said “Sara, you’re in Africa.” I said “I know, I should be soaking up every last moment but I’m tired.” “No,” he said “you’re trying to get into the wrong side of the car.” And so I was.

Now we took a trip through two different markets. We bought 6 mangos, some citrus fruits that are something like tangerines, and some other vegetables too.

Finally, we stopped at Old Moshi Secondary School to visit Pastor’s son Kripton. It was nice to visit with him a bit, Pastor Mmanga has the nicest kids in the country!

Then back to Uswaa. Just bouncing along in his little Suzuki talking about the church, the country, and a million other things that matter to no one but us.

When we arrived back at Uswaa, the power was out and the village was dark. It was time for supper and bed. Pastor came in and joined us for supper and we laughed and laughed as we recounted the day to John.

I love when ordinary days turn out to be extraordinary. 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous produce. Fabulous shoes. Good company. Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A unique pair of quality shoes, usually have a good story behind them. Those look like bowling balls in the produce picture.

    ReplyDelete