Friday, August 5, 2011

#7 – Food

#7 - Food

Thursday morning I was sitting eating breakfast, lingering a little longer than usual because the fire was so perfect and the tea so tasty. Mama Baby came into the dining room to ask me what I would like for supper.

She smiled saying, “chipati?” She knows how much I like that. “What do you want to go with it?” she asked?

I said “beans and rice, avocado, a few samosas for John, and mango for dessert.”

She said okay with a giant smile and bounced back outside to the kitchen.

Let me just tell you how excited I am for supper tonight. These are all of my favorite things!

I’ve already written about how much I love the food here.

There are foods that just fill you up and give you the energy you need, but then there are the ones that make eating this enjoyable, even spiritual experience. Those are the foods I will particularly miss. Here are the one that I know I will miss and can’t get (or can’t get as good) in the US.
  • Fruit like mango, passion fruit and pineapple
  • Avocado – John keeps trying to convince me this is a fruit – but I love it so much I decided it belongs in a category all its own.
  • Sweet roasted bananas – that’s like having candy for breakfast!
  • Finger millet – this brown porridge that we have for breakfast.
  • Wheatabix – another cereal.
  • Samosas and chipati – I know now how to make these, but I’m sure they won’t be the same until I return to Uswaa
  • Bitter Lemon – does soda count as a food I’ll miss? Bitter Lemon (Or Peter Lema, as I sometimes call it) is something like squirt only better.
  • Kitumbua – these are these fried sticky sweet rice treats.
  • Ginger tea with honey - spicy and sweet.  
The closer I get to coming home I am beginning to have cravings for pizza and hamburgers, for green tea and my favorite barley pop – but for now I’m enjoying every last morsel of this delicious African fare.

After supper that night I told Mama Baby that the meal was excellent. I said “chakula kizuri kama kowaida,"  The food is excellent as usual.  She said with this very proud grin “marvelous.” Yes it is!

1 comment:

  1. You have to tell Mama Baby "thank you for taking such good care of you from you mother." I'll miss reading these blogs each morning. MOM

    ReplyDelete