Wednesday, August 10, 2011

#2 - Pastor Mmanga

#2 - Pastor Mmanga



Where to begin?  Over the course of the last 12 weeks I have probably spent the most time with Pastor Mmanga.  He has been my host, my college, my entertainment, and my friend.  I can't tell you how hard I've laughed during some of our conversations, or how inspired I've been at his dedication to and vision for the church.

One day, just before John was to begin teaching at Uroki, I was wondering how long it takes to drive from church down to school.  So as we were passing Uroki, I checked to see what time it was.  It was 2:00.  We drove 3 kilometers and got home at 3:00.  This is because Pastor Mmanga likes to stop to roll down his window and greet each and every person he sees.  He is really a very busy person, but he always takes the time to stop and give the members of the church his full attention.

He knows everybody.  Pastor Mmanga has been at Uswaa for less than a year and he really knows everybody in the village.  He knows his way around the place, he knows who is related to who, and he knows who is attending church regularly and who is not.  He knows people (because he's willing to take the time to stop and talk to them) and the people trust him.

I love Pastor Mmanga's vision for the church.  He really wants to empower the church to to sustain itself.  He wants Uswaa to grow and bring change to the village and to the individuals who live there.  Daily, he stops down at the church's small business (a rock crushing machine) to make sure things are working and moving along.  He checks in on the church shambas frequently too, to see how things are growing and to encourage the people out working in them.  He's got dreams for the church, the church needs more pastors with big dreams.

On top of all this, he's just a fun person.  We have laughed so much.  For instance, recently we've been laughing about how John had his hand in his pocket when he was giving greetings in worship on Sunday.  Pastor Mmanga kept taking John's hand out of John's pocket.  In the course of this conversation we learned that when you put your hands in your pockets when you are talking in front of a group it is like telling the people that you're better than them.  This, he said, is almost as bad as giving someone a gift that is not wrapped or in a bag.  That (no gift wrapping) is just not human.

When driving Pastor Mmanga likes to take different routes whenever possible, we never know where we are and then suddenly we arrive at our destination.  He loves watching or reading the news and giving us updates on what's happening in America.  He loves tennis, particularly Serena Williams.  He usually yawns during prayer.  He makes this sound like a rabbit when he's thinking.  He loves his wife and his family.

As we were driving to his home on Sunday night, he said "you're leaving tomorrow, I wonder if we shall see each other again."  I told him that even if he's not at Uswaa (and I hope hope hope he is) on my next visit I will hunt him down!  That's a promise.


I am beyond grateful for having this particular pastor and friend during my sabbatical.

No comments:

Post a Comment