Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#9 - Music

One of my most favorite things here is listening to the people sing. Ever since my first trip in 2005, when I heard this children's choir sing with such beautiful and spontaneous harmonies I've been hooked.  I actually think I got hooked when I was in high school and we watched the movie The Power of One and then got the soundtrack and I fell in love with this kind of music.  However, the real things is so much better.

The choirs here are a treat to listen to, even when they are just rehearsing.  In worship when the whole congregation sings together in this amazing harmony I love trying to join in, but sometimes just close my eyes and listen because it is way better when I keep my voice out of it.

Following funerals at the church we process with the entire congregation back to the person's home for the burial.  The whole processional line sings the whole way.  One woman usually starts out with a melody line, and then everyone joins in.  Usually this is a call and response and they sing the person all the way from the church to home.

I've also been working quite a bit with the women's group.  When they sit and sew, they sing.  When they have a Bible study, they sing at the end of it.  When they are just standing around getting ready to go home, they sing and laugh and just enjoy the company of each other.

This video will not do it justice, but believe me, this was one of the most spontaneous and fun moments of worship I've experienced in my life.


I wish I could write more eloquently about the music here.  It really is something to behold.  I suppose that's appropriate though, music is best heard and experienced live.  I guess its just another reason that you should come to Tanzania and meet all of these wonderful people and worshipful singers!

3 comments:

  1. Could you tell us what they were singing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great footage. I love the end as well when there is some recognition that they have been filmed--or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benjamin has been listening to this over and over and just might be able to sing it for you when you get here.

    ReplyDelete