Saturday, May 14, 2011

What Is Real

Last week Janelle sent me these words of blessing. They are incredibly powerful to me as I prepare to leave for Africa in 2 days. I just keep reading them over and over and over and they both inspire and calm me.
May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be confident knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us.

They are attributed to St. Theresa of Lisieux, a French Catholic nun that died at the age of 24, that’s all I know about her right now, but I’m putting her on my list to read more about in the year ahead.

I decided to read this blessing at our staff meeting last week, and Evi reminded me that Michael had given this same blessing to the Confirmation students just a couple of weeks before. I hadn’t remembered that.

Now, these words, which I had not recollected hearing before, have become real.

The same thing happened with a choir anthem. The Southwood choir sang an anthem, Peace Evermore, at Easter service. Like this blessing, the words were inspiring and the anthem was memorable. We raved about the anthem and Denise reminded us that the Choir had sang it before in January at Concert with a Cause. I hadn’t remembered that at all. She said it was because at the concert it was a performance, at Easter it was an offering.

An offering is more memorable than a performance.

What is real. Real things strike us right where we are, as we are, and to the heart of who we are. Some things are good, even great, for a moment. Real things are memorable, they settle into your bones. What is real are blessings and prayers for what is coming, gratefulness for what has been, and offerings to the one who calls, empowers and sends us out.

Looking forward to what is real.

2 comments:

  1. You've set the bar high with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pastor Sara! My parents told me about your blog and your work in Tanzania. I'm excited to follow what you'll be doing there! Thank you for sharing this blessing. It is very inspiring. In fact, I may just have to post that on my bedroom wall so that I can be reminded of its message every day!

    I wish you every success and extreme fulfillment in your work there. Sending love from Azerbaijan! :-)

    ReplyDelete