Sunday, May 29, 2011

Just Call Me Boo!

The children here are so interested in me. When I walk over to church and pass by the primary school, they all run over, get as close as they can and yell out Mzungu (white person) or they ask for money or candy.

At Confirmation and Sunday school they just stare at me. They just stare. It’s kind of crazy, I am really not that interesting.

Saturday at the wedding, there were about 4 boys who came and sat down on the end of the pew that I was sitting in. Every time I would glance their way I noticed that they had edged closer and closer to me. Then all of a sudden they were sitting right next to me. Touching me. When I would try to look their way and smile at them, they would quickly turn their heads away, so shy and embarrassed.

I’m starting to empathize with how Boo Radley must have felt when Scout, Jem and Dill tried to see just how close they could get to Boo and his house and then run away.

Of course at the end of Mockingbird, Scout finally understands that Boo is a good caring person and not scary at all.

So, perhaps there is hope for this Mzungu too!

No comments:

Post a Comment