Thursday, May 19, 2011

Arrival

I'm here, I made it. It was a long long trip! Enough said.

There was a very warm welcome at the airport, about 10 people from the church came out to pick me up, they brought flowers and everything. Then we got back to the church and had a full meal at 10 p.m. I sort of knew this would be coming so I didn't eat the last meal offered on the flight to prepare myself.

Today I have had a meeting at the Diocese office, that was good. It was slow getting to the meeting (no suprise there) the van they used to pick me up at the airport, hit a motorcycle on the way. There has been much time spent at the Police station since then, some last night and then agan today. This morning we went to the police station, picked someone up, and then drove somewhere (I'm pretty sure we were lost) to pick someone else up, then back to the police station. I SO wish I understood Swahili!

Tomorrow the pastor at Uswaa and I will sit down and formalize an itinerary for me for the rest of my stay. It will be helpful for me to have this itinerary.

The entire football team from Drake University was on my flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam, then they were on the flight again to Kilimanjaro along with a football team from Mexico. The two teams will play this saturday in the first organized American football game ever in Africa. This is big news here. I don't think we will go to the game, there is a wedding on Saturday.

I am not sure how much I will get to use the internet, but for now this is my update!

Love,

Sara

6 comments:

  1. Sara - So glad that you made it safely! Sounds like you are already having great adventures!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it! I already have you added to my Google Reader, so I hope you have Internet access at least occasionally. Don't worry - Michael hasn't done anything to your office yet.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it! I actually have heard alot about this upcoming football game on Iowa Public Radio while I do a show in the Quad Cities. How crazy to have my worlds come together - in Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is your second accident in Africa! I hope the motorcyclist wasn't seriously injured. Thanks for communicating so well -- I look forward to reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara,

    Adventure at the mercy of God's grace, there's nothing better. At least I hope you are doing okay with it.

    Just because I'm actually reading a blog-your blog, don't think I will continue reading blogs after you come back. (Shivers)

    Your office is well on the way to becoming beautifully decorated.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara,

    I'm so glad you are there!!! I can't wait to hear more and see you in a little over 3 weeks.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete