Monday, May 30, 2011

The Greatest Words

With a title like this, you would think I was going to have some eloquent quote from scripture. But, no, another post about food.

The food here is good, I've already written about that. (Ask me again later, I do wonder if I will stand by this sentence after a month has passed.)

I think my only complaints are that it is a bit monotonous and you get so much. I mean they start serving and then dish after dish after dish appears before you. You should not load up too much on rice when the first serving plate comes around, because there will be more, there will certainly be more. Then, you eat a whole plate of food and they offer you more. How, do you politely say no more?

Today I was trying to turn down one more helping of something and Pastor Mmanga said: "Sara, Pastor Greg gave me instructions to send you back to Southwood a big mama." Then he opened his arms wide to demonstrate such girth. John and I laughed so hard about that one!

But I have discovered a way. I have now learned these two amazing words:

Asante inatosha

This means “thank you, I’ve had enough.”

And it works, I say them and no one is offended. They just say “thank you” back to me and move on to the next person. I love knowing this phrase.

Now I’ve started my lesson on the opposite idea.

Niongezee kidogo tafadhali

This means “can I have a little more please.”

I’m fairly certain that I won’t use this one nearly as much, except when the avocados pass my way. Yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment